Friday, April 23, 2010

Welcome to Christopher Street Cookies


Christopher Street Cookies is a startup company which began in June of 2007.
I am Diana Whittles the owner, creator and wearer of many hats.
I am a very proud native New Yorker who was lucky enough to have grown up on Christopher Street in the West Village.
Hence the company name.

For now Christopher Street Cookies is a small one woman operation with just me, myself and I  doing all the baking and marketing and product development.
As I grow I hope to add more employees.

As a stay at home mom with two pre school boys (ages 6 and 8) I found myself baking almost every day so the boys could “help” mommy with a project.
The results would go to work the following day with my husband.

The more I baked, the more I found I was energized and excited by the discovery of new recipes and the recreation and personalization of them.
I came  up with a list of about 50 I wanted to make.

That’s when I remembered I  am  a one gal operation, a full time mommy and a wife and the days only had 24 hours in then and I only have 2 arms.
So I sat down and using the saying “Keep It Simple” as my mantra I went back over the recipes and found a small handful  that stood out.

All the cookies were good, but I didn’t just want a good cookie, I wanted an out of the world, over the top cookie.
The kind of cookie that makes your eyes roll up into the back of your head and you can’t speak till you are done eating.

After I put the boys to bed at night I’d become a sort of a mad scientist. Experimenting, swapping out ingredients and even trying different styles of the same ingredient (European butter vs. supermarket  bought butter toasted walnuts  vs. non toasted)

I think after all my hard work and experimenting and tinkering and blood sweat and tears I have developed a cookie I can be proud of.
 
I'm confident you will feel the same way.

No comments: